School Begins on August 26, 2013
A Brief History of the District
The Downingtown Area School District celebrated its 50th anniversary during the 2010-2011 school year.
The first three schools constructed for the Downingtown Area School were Beaver Creek Elementary, Lionville Elementary and the building now known as DHS West. Although residents in the surrounding area sent their students to the junior and senior high school on Manor Ave., small one or two room school houses were used to educate their elementary aged children.
All that changed in 1958, when five of the area's municipalities elected to merge and create a district system. Downingtown Borough, East Caln, Uwchlan, West Bradford, East Brandywine, and Wallace Township approved the construction of the district's first schools. West Pikeland and Upper Uwchlan joined the district in 1961.
Today, these eight municipalities support 10 elementary schools, two middle schools and two high schools. A third high school, the Downingtown STEM Academy (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) will open in 2011 with a third middle school scheduled to open in 2013.