Building renovation and history
The Downingtown STEM Academy building has a rich and honorable history. It was first used as a junior/senior high school for the residents of the surrounding area. The original structure of stone was built in 1932 at a cost of $160,000 with an addition added in 1950 for $360,000. The school sat on 14 acres of land in the Downingtown Borough.
In 1954, the Joint Board purchased an additional 20 acres that became the site of the present DHS West. The new high school opened in 1960 and the Manor Ave. building became the Downingtown Junior High School. It was used as a 9th grade center during the years of renovation of DHS East and DHS West.
The building remained vacant for several years but was used by the Chester County Intermediate Unit in 2007 - 2009 for several of their programs.